Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Snapper in Rich Tomato Sauce

This was a gamble as fish and kids do not usually go so well together. I had just picked up some Wild Red Snapper from Market of Choice for $4.99 lb and the recipe looked simple so I gave it a try. The one thing I know for certain is that the kids LOVE pasta so at the very least, they wouldn't starve!


The kids devoured this dish and my pickiest eater had two large plates. The great news is that it is also healthy with only 7grams of fat and 1175kj's.



750g (1.5lbs) boneless white fish
1 teaspoon Olive Oil
1 medium chopped Red Onion
3 cloves of Garlic
800g canned tomatoes
1 tablespoon Balsmaic Vinegar
2 tablespoons Tomatoe Paste
2 tablespoons drained Capers
1/4 cup chopped fresh Parsley
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves

Cut fish into bite sized pieces. Heat oil in a large pan (I used my Le Creuset dutch oven), cook onion and garlic stirring until onion is soft. Stir in undrained crushed tomatoes (I used Trader Joes Roma with Basil), vinegar, paste, sugar and capers; simmer, uncovered about 10 minutes or until sauce has thickened. Here I used my hand blender to whiz the tomatoes as I was using whole instead of crushed. Stir in fish; simmer, uncovered about 5 minutes or until fish is cooked through. Stir in herbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment